Wednesday, 5 March 2008

No phone for you!

We're not going to have a phone line until at least 6th May!! (Now 25th June!!!!!!!!!!)
The line comes from each side of us up the street, but both stop at our neighbours place. A borer is going to have to tunnel under the neighbours driveway etc to hook us up. :'(

The bricks are back in the wall, and I've been madly spraying the tribulus terrestris weeds on our big patch of brown dirt. Also we bought ourselves a bin. YEY! ;)

That's a photo off the net, not of our actual yard.

Friday, 29 February 2008

Settling in

Everything's going pretty well.
We've had a few hickups, like everyone...
Still no phone line. A Telstra tech came out and got the number patched through as far as the neighbours place, but now we have to wait until a borer is available to get across to our place.

We had a
a water leak inside an external wall
a gas leak under the cooktop
a leak from a drain pipe in the laundry
a light with a dodgy connection

And still have (I haven't had time to mention to the builder at all)
a laundry door lock that wont unlock
some missing grout
about 1/2 dozen bricks missing from the wall from the plumber
and the theatre room lights that were supposed to be wired in 2 banks of 2 (switched separately front and back) are all on one switch.

But we're having a great time in our new place. So close to work, and nice and big, with heaps of storage.
Once I get a phone line, and then an internet connection, I'll up some photos.

Saturday, 16 February 2008

And we're off...

Truck's almost packed.
This will be my last post from our old house. There's no phone etc at the new one yet, so may not be back for a bit.

Monday, 11 February 2008

Nope, not yet.

When the builder suggested about a week and a half ago that we should be moving in this weekend just gone, we told a few of you, but it wasn't to be.
I think the shower screens and mirrors got installed on Friday, but we haven't been able to see them yet.
The final 'council' inspection was done today - but we don't know the results, and the valuer didn't turn up or get in contact with the builder, so we don't know what he's up to.
So at this stage I have no idea when we'll be moving.
Pergola now covered and guttered

Carpet in hallway

Theatre room

Master Bedroom

Friday, 1 February 2008

Nearly done.

Columns are in.

Block leveled out

Water pump from tank to toilets/laundry

Pergola being painted.

Toilet in

Sinks etc being done.

Shower screens are still on the way.

Kitchen sink

Gotta pay Section 94A levy of $995 today (could have been double), and the second last progress payment.

Monday, 28 January 2008

Around $400 worth of lights there

And a new swtich to turn 'em on with.

Not sure what those wires are, hanging down behind the cupboard - or how/why there is a hole for them to be coming down through.

Saturday, 26 January 2008

Front door painting started

And a pergola!!

Thursday, 24 January 2008

Still goin

Only that tile not grouted, and a couple where the dishwasher go as far as tiles go.

Wood waiting for pergola'ing

Clothesline very nicely concreted in.

Saturday, 19 January 2008

4 months

Sept 19th was the day of the 'drawn to scale' post.
Contract date says one week to go, but we'll be a little later than that. Hopefully not too much more though.

Thursday, 17 January 2008

Tuesday, 15 January 2008

Section 94 ey?

So far I've worked out that we're not up for the section 94, but for the section 94A levy, which is calculated as a percentage of the development cost excluding a few things including project management, insurances, taxes, council fees etc. Those percentages mean we pay 1% if the development cost is over 200K, and .5% over 100K, which is a big difference.

That means that if what the builder is making for 'being the builder', plus those other things like insurance, hiring the certifier, etc add up to over $37K, then we would drop below the $200K percentage barrier.
For eg.
dev cost = $200,000. Levy fee = $2000
Dev cost = $199,999. levy fee = $1000

I have no idea what sort of margin builders work to, but I'm hoping it's big so that when the dev cost is calculated we're under that barrier.

Friday, 11 January 2008

Completely floored

Well... not the carpet. And it's not grouted yet.

And some concrete.

And termite chemical pipe

And some other pics

To-do Update
Paint - just outside to do AFAIK
Tiles - almost done
Carpet $
Plumbing fittings $
Pergola/Covered area - scheduled Mon/Tues
Driveway & paths - in progress
Porch columns
Phone connection $
council Section 94 - have to pay :(
Light, TV, electrical fittings $

Oh No :(

My wife just rang to say that one of the builders (the son - remember they're father and son) has gone away for a few days.... but it's not what you think. I'm not upset he's gone. I'm upset the father didn't go too!
They had a wedding in the family and apparently didn't go because of the fairly tight schedule they're working to. I feel terrible that they felt they couldn't go to something like that because of us.
If you happen to read this guys. Thanks for your dedication, and sorry that you missed out.

Now another oh no moment. We've finally received confirmation that we DO have to pay the section 94 levy, after having been told verbally we don't. I thought they were supposed to send us an assessment notice, but they've just told us it is 1% of the development costs. I'm assuming that for us is about $2500. What a waste of money!!

We don't have a council garbage service, but somehow we owe the council $2.5K for all the extra facilities they will need to provide because of our development!

Wednesday, 9 January 2008


Carpet reordered. We've gone for a twist cut pile carpet again, but this one is a lot smaller gauge and denser weave. It's the one on top in the pic in the previous post, but the colouring looks completely wrong in the photo.

Tuesday, 8 January 2008


The camera doesn't reproduce the colouring particularly well, but you get the idea.

Couple of carpet samples - they look brown in the pic, but aren't.

Garage getting painted.

Monday, 7 January 2008

Getting exciting

You may or may not remember that we were intending to wait for the carpet we chose to become available in the middle of Feb which would have pushed back our completion by a few weeks.
We finally got a more firm date from the carpet people, and found that it would be late Feb before they would have it installed, so we figured it made sense to consider compromising on the selection we made.
Let's just say that was a fantastic chain of events. If the carpet hadn't been delayed, we would have just gone for what we picked, and would have been very unhappy with our selection! When we went and looked at others, we also borrowed the sample of the one we initially chose, and now that the walls are painted, we had the perfect opportunity to really see how it would look. It was WAY too dark.
So we're making the final choice on the replacement out of 2 that are readily available, and that means we'll be able to get in as soon as the builder is finished.
Having that firm 'completed by' date instead of the 'sometime in Feb' is so much better somehow and it's really feeling like we're going to be moving soon.

The painting is close to finished on the inside by the looks of things and wet areas are being grouted (need to get pics).